Theresa's Overseas Musings

Welcome to my blog. I'm currently living in Gaborone, Botswana. This is my first time living overseas (as opposed to being stationed here), and we're supposed to be here for two years. Of course, the opinions expressed here are entirely my own. If you don't agree, create your own blog! :)

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

I'm a woman trying to live the best life I can.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Look at me, I'm driving!

I finally drove our car this weekend. I didn't have too many problems, except for almost getting into an accident on the third block. No, it wasn't my fault. I was going straight and some idiot was in too much of a hurry to wait for the turn arrow and decided to turn in front of me at the light. I slammed on my brakes and missed her by about a foot. If she had been going a little faster, I probably couldn't have avoided her.

The first time I drove (Mike was in the car) I went a little too fast around the corners. I'm not used to driving a big 4x4. I screeched the tires a little. The second time (without Mike) I stayed in my lane around the traffic circles and didn't screech the tires at all. I got my confidence back the second time, although I'm still getting used to how big it is. I still need some practice to judge how wide this car is. It doesn't help that a lot of the streets are narrow. A further problem is that there are no sidewalks on most streets and people walk everywhere. And did I mention the drivers who ignore the lane markings and move into your lane periodically for no good reason? That's the people beside you and coming towards you. And the pedestrians usually don't even try to get out of the way of cars. Is everybody here suicidal?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home