Theresa's Overseas Musings

Welcome to my blog. I'm currently living in Gaborone, Botswana. This is my first time living overseas (as opposed to being stationed here), and we're supposed to be here for two years. Of course, the opinions expressed here are entirely my own. If you don't agree, create your own blog! :)

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

I'm a woman trying to live the best life I can.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Quick South African business trip

At the end of June I went on a quick business trip to South Africa. My boss, a co-worker, and I left Wednesday after work to fly down to Pretoria for one night. We had an all-day meeting with our CDC counterparts down there, then we flew to Cape Town. We had a meeting with a contractor on Friday, in Stellenbosch (it's the wine country, about an hour drive from Cape Town). Even at the beginning of winter, it was very pretty. We stayed at Lanzerac Manor, which is a working wine estate. When we checked in we received a letter worth a free wine tasting, but we didn't have a chance. We chose to go shopping at Century City (also called Canal Walk) instead. That mall must be close to the largest, if not THE largest mall in Sub-Saharan Africa. It's got everything you could imagine, including a 12 screen movie theatre, and an amusement park across the street. I wanted to go to the mall just to find a leather jacket (which I did).
Saturday morning my boss and I had a meeting with someone else in Cape Town. My flight was at 3. Not only did I not get to eat lunch, but I barely made the flight. There were only 2 people who got on the plane after me. The person we were meeting with would not stop talking! It was 2, I was walking to the rental car, and he was still talking to me!
Friday night we ended up at this Indian restaurant in Stellenbosch. We walked around until we found something that looked good. If you're ever in Stellenbosch, South Africa, and you like Indian food, I highly recommend the Bukhara Indian Restaurant! The garlic naan is not to be missed!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh you didn't get to eat lunch AND you didn't get to do everything on your business trip? Hmmm I thought it was a business Trip and not a personal trip.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home