Theresa's Overseas Musings

Welcome to my blog. I'm currently living in Gaborone, Botswana. This is my first time living overseas (as opposed to being stationed here), and we're supposed to be here for two years. Of course, the opinions expressed here are entirely my own. If you don't agree, create your own blog! :)

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

I'm a woman trying to live the best life I can.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The year of the snake?

Well, the holidays are over for another year. Living in the southern hemisphere is weird! It doesn't feel like January. It's been in the 90's most days. I'd be dying if it weren't for the A/C. Every room in our house has it's own A/C unit with a remote control. We only turn on the ones in the kitchen, living room, and our bedroom. I have used the one in the office while I'm working on the computer a couple of times. I also have one in my office at work. Until they hire a systems analyst to be my office mate, I have sole control of the remote. :)

I have found many bugs in our house. I've only seen three roaches, but one of those was 2 inches long (not including antenae)! Last night I was getting into bed, when I saw a snake! It was maybe 2 feet long and red. I didn't get a good look at it, as it was moving fast going underneath the nightstand. We grabbed a broom, mop, and flashlight to get it out. I'm not going to sleep with an unidentified snake in my bedroom! We moved the bed and both nightstands away from the wall and I found it with the flashlight...as it was climbing up into the boxspring. So we took the pillows, sheets, and mattress off the boxspring. We tried to just lift and drop the boxspring to scare the snake into coming out, but with no luck. We stood the boxspring up on the side, and then we saw the snake hiding between the coils and the top of the boxspring. We tried pushing it with the broom handles to get it out, but also with no luck. It just coiled up further into the corner. We finally took the boxspring outside (we have a sliding glass door leading from our bedroom to the patio and pool). The snake finally crawled out. Once it did, it coiled itself around one of the poles in the fence around the pool. I have a few pictures of it, once I get them off the digital camera. I still don't know what kind of snake it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't poisonous. It was more scared of us, probably. I used to have an albino king snake that was bigger than this red one, but I knew what kind of snake that one was. I'm not about to pick up an unfamiliar snake in Africa!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...I laughed so hard...this was hilarious. Judy

4:48 PM  
Blogger Michael M. Davis said...

Very funny. Suddenly the thought of a mouse in the house doesn't seem so bad. Although, having a snake in the house would probalby eliminate any mice.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home